For most people, achieving optimal nutrition through food sources alone is a challenging goal to achieve. With the help of intravenous (IV) therapy, the method delivers hydration and substances directly into the bloodstream using a needle, thin medical tubing, and a treatment bag. In wellness, it is often referred to as IV nutrition therapy, which delivers a powerful boost of micronutrients directly to the bloodstream and restores hydration.
How Does The IV Therapy Work?
The IV therapy process is simple: the patient sits comfortably in the treatment chair while the practitioner uses a small needle to place the medical tubing into a vein on his hand or wrist. This is a quick process, and there is no significant discomfort. The other end of the tubing connects to the treatment bag filled with a customized solution.
Subsequently, the solution slowly moves through the tubing and enters the bloodstream one drip at a time. In terms of duration, IV nutrition therapy treatments take less than an hour. The patient can resume normal activities immediately while feeling immediate effects after IV nutrition treatments.
What Conditions Can IV Therapy Treat?
Depending on the needs, an IV therapy plan can be customized to address acute and chronic conditions like:
- Chronic fatigue
What Types Of Fluids and Vitamins Are Found In The IV Therapy?
An IV bag contains fluid depending on the type of therapy an individual needs. Mainly, intravenous solutions can contain saline, vitamins, minerals, and medication. Some common components of IV bags include:
- Saline. This is usually the main ingredient of an IV bag that is made up of water and sodium chloride, serving as a delivery system to deliver other components of IV therapy.
- Dextrose. A type of sugar that helps normalize low levels of blood sugar. Since it’s a sugar, the body can convert dextrose into energy.
- Lactated Ringer’s. Popular in medical drama, this IV solution contains calcium chloride, water, potassium chloride, sodium lactate, and sodium chloride. Lactated Ringer can also deliver other ingredients. In fact, this is also commonly used to treat dehydration and during surgery.
- Vitamin B. The vitamin B complex, which are B-1, B-2, B-3, B-5, B-6, B-9, and B-12, directly contributes to critical bodily functions, like metabolism and nerve function. Vitamin B complex is often delivered via IV therapy for patients with trouble naturally absorbing vitamins.
- Vitamin C. This is necessary for a healthy immune system function. Vitamin C can be a beneficial ingredient in IV therapy for those who are sick or feel like they are becoming sick. Vitamin C sustains the immune system’s pathogen response, helping it fight diseases and prevent them from onsetting.
- Calcium. The IV therapy may include calcium, a mineral needed to build strong bones and teeth. In wellness, intravenous calcium can supplement a low-calcium diet or treat certain conditions like acute hypocalcemia and hypoparathyroidism.
- Magnesium. A mineral that plays a role in healthy metabolic function. It has numerous benefits, including reducing inflammation, combating leg cramps in pregnant women, and even helping to prevent migraines.
- Antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body’s cells from several different diseases. The IV therapy may include various types of antioxidants, such as glutathione or vitamins A, C, or E.
- Antibiotics: A patient will likely receive antibiotics via an IV bag in cases of respiratory infection, bacterial skin infection, gastrointestinal infection, meningitis, Lyme disease, and more. Common IV antibiotics include penicillins, oxazolidinones, cephalosporins, glycopeptides, fluoroquinolones, carbapenems, and nitroimidazoles.
What Are The Benefits Of An IV Therapy?
Vitamin therapies are customized to meet specific health needs, ensuring patient satisfaction with the results. Below are the known benefits of IV therapy:
Guaranteed vitamin absorption
Some medications and medical issues can interrupt the body’s ability to absorb the nutrients it needs to function correctly properly. With IV therapy, vitamins are completely and quickly absorbed into the https://wacofunctionalmed.com/services/functional-medicine/, which allows the body to utilize them immediately.
Boost The Energy
For those suffering from anxiety, chronic fatigue, depression, respiratory illness, or even a common cold, IV therapy can help boost the immune system to help them feel energized and refreshed.
This is the most efficient way to provide the body with optimal hydration to support all vital organ functions. In fact, IV therapy can help prevent medical issues, such as constipation, kidney stones, and muscle damage.
Fast treatment times
No need to wait for the treatment to be completed since most IV vitamin treatments can be done in under an hour. In fact, the patient can relax and enjoy the process in a comfortable environment.
Several IV therapies are available to meet nutritional needs, including the famous Myers cocktail. This therapy is ideal for relieving fatigue, allergies, or muscle spasms. Indeed, IV therapies are customized based on nutritional deficiencies and treatment goals.
Reduced reliance on pills
With customized IV therapy treatments, there is a decrease in the need for costly nutritional supplements several times a day. The practitioner can work with the patient to determine exactly what the body needs and how often the treatment is needed.
Ideal preventive therapy
It can be a successful step on the road to preventive healthcare. Therapeutic doses of vitamin C are toxic to cancer cells and are well known for their effectiveness in building immunity. Moreover, regular IV therapy can also help prevent developing chronic conditions like respiratory illnesses and migraines.
It can take up to two days to completely digest foods, but with IV therapy, positive effects can be felt in the body almost instantly. Within several hours, the patient can feel the full effects of the IV nutrients, as they’ll have more energy to think clearly while enjoying an improved mood.
A great choice for athletes
Often, athletes suffer from tired muscles, muscle spasms, and exhaustion. With IV therapy treatments, patients can replenish lost vitamins and minerals to improve their recovery time from their workouts. IV treatments can also ensure proper hydration after excessive sweating that accompanies many workouts.
Fights the effects of environmental toxins
Toxins in the everyday environment can take a toll on health and appearance. IV therapy supplies the body with antioxidants to combat premature signs of aging and help the body flush harmful toxins.
What Are The Possible Side Effects Of IV Therapy?
In general, IV therapy is safe and effective, but like it doesn’t come without its side effects, including:
- bleeding from the site of insertion
- bruising at the site of insertion
- damage to blood vessels
- swelling at the injection site
- inflammation of the veins if the IV is present for a long time
- swelling in the area
The Bottom Line
Indeed, IV therapy is a great way to give a person vitamins, fluids, or medicine directly into a vein. Waco Center for Functional Medicine, PLLC offers IV Therapy, a safe and fast way to provide the body with the nutrition it needs as hydration bypasses the digestive system. Ultimately, IV therapy is a vital tool to assist the body in healing the body more efficiently and effectively.